View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #294
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Carl

The hobbit’s eyelids flashed open, and he sat up, looking around him. There was Hamin lying on the ground, a dark pool creeping out from beneath him. And Kwell too was just beside him. Why was Kwell still there? Carl realized he must have lost consciousness. “Am I dead? “ Carl coughed behind his kerchief. “Not yet, by the look of it, though I was well on my way. Picked a fine time to get the breath knocked out of me, that’s for certain!”

“But are you alright?” Kwell asked.

Putting his hands on his stomach, Carl quickly pushed here and there to see if anything was amiss. His abdomen was quite painful and he felt overwhelmingly nauseous, but he guessed it wasn’t anything of a serious nature. Satisfied that he would be fine, he pulled his legs out from under Hamins’s knees extricating himself from the tangle, and stood up. “Someone wise once said that hobbits are tougher than they look. But I’m telling you, even though I didn’t crack, I was sure to pop if that had gone on much longer” He offered a hand to Kwell, and helped him to his feet. “But how are you? Are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m alright,” the boy said looking doubtfully at the frantic shadows moving around them in the haze, as if he expected something to leap out at them. He hurried to squat beside the dead man.

“What piece of luck saved our hides anyway?” Carl asked. But as Kwell removed his knife from the slaver’s throat, Carl needed no answer. “Is that what happened! Here I had thought to tell you to return to the other children where you’d be safer. But now I’m thinking that they would be safer. They might be needing a stout hearted lad such as you, just now.”

Kwell stopped what he was doing, and looked the hobbit in the eye. “As you can see,” Carl added, “Not all the slavers decided to enter the camp by the front door. As for me, I need to find me some arrows, or a sword or something a bit bigger than my knife! You go take care of Azhar for me, will you? I have a good hunch you might be better at it than me.” With a quick wink, the hobbit picked up his bow and headed off to see if he could find the other archers.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 12-11-2006 at 11:06 AM.