View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #75
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Kath n' Valier's FAQs

Kath (via PM) has raised some of the same questions as you, Valier, and some different. I'll attempt to field you both.

I am a little confused as to what Easterlings do day to day?

The Easterlings are a normal human society. Think a bit more savage than the Rohirrim, sort of on the Dunlending level. While warriors in times of war, most men - barring the household fighters of the Chieftain - will be basically farmers. Other professions could include smiths, fletchers, furriers, maybe even some kind of skald (bard) figure.

And what may I ask do Female Easterlings look like?

Like women usually do.

Do they look like the men?

We're not talking Dwarves here! But I know you didn't mean that...yes, they'll be dark, relatively short, not conventional beauties in the way of a Luthien or Eowyn, but certainly capable of their own particular brand of beauty.

Also would they be farmers, or what?

They'd help bring in the harvest and sow, so yes. In this spring season they'll be sowing their fields. Apart from that, they'll have deep family duties. A woman's place in this RP is, quite a lot of the time, in the home. They also need to sew clothes, prepare food, and talk. Pretty pre-feminist I know! But I think it may prove an interesting opportunity for character interaction. Romance, permitted and illicit, will no doubt stir the pot as well...

So are all the Ulfings bad?

Definitely not, though some are. Few are shining examples of goodness either. Kind of in between. Or that's the idea. This RP should hopefully show the moral complexity of their apparently simple lives.

They want to join Morgoth?

At the beginning, only those closest to Uldor (and Ulfang) are plotting with Morgoth. Most are loyal to their Chieftain, Ulfang, and just want to live as best they can. As such, they'll at first respond to the call of Ulfang's overlord Caranthir. But by the end Uldor's party should secretly hold numerical sway. Those characters who want to remain true will either be killed by Uldor's party or pretend to comply and flee in the Nirnaeth.

and the Hunters would never join Morgoth?

No, they wouldn't. They're used to life up north with Maedhros and Maglor at Himring and they know the evil the Dark Lord represents. They distrust, fear and hate him.

So, I've read the thread and I think I'm right in saying that the idea is to get an idea of life in the Easterling village, both first hand from those living there and second hand from the spies within it, and then for these Easterlings to march to war, all knowing that while they are supposed to be helping Caranthir they are actually going to help Morgoth. Yes?

Yes. But some "good" Ulfings may resist or flee when it comes to the battle (such actions will be described in the epilogue).

Anyway, the role that caught my eye was that of the Borrim hunter. How vociferous are these people in their decision never to help Morgoth?

They're determined, but not exactly vociferous, being quite taciturn and sullen men. They won't be traitors like the Ulfings, though.

Do they attract attention or are they ignored because they are outsiders and no one would listen to them?

Their ultimate role is to warn my character Lachrandir of a plot they suspect, urging him to report it to Caranthir. He will think it over and eventually dismiss it as nothing. Typical Noldorin hubris, maybe...

Plus in one of your links it says this:

In the 5th Battle of Beleriand the tribe of Bor fought with the Noldor, and most perished.

So does that mean that at some point the Borrim would split off from the Easterling group (I was assuming Ulfings and Borrims alike went together) knowing of their treachery?

Uldor's partisans won't trust the Borrim, knowing their loyalty, and won't let them into the plot. The Borrim will discover a hint of it anyway. At the end, the Borrim will march north with the rest, but with genuinely good intentions and foreboding in their hearts...

There. That's about it...do keep on questioning if you don't understand something...

PS

I have been doing a little reading...So Morgoth promised the Ulfings land if they make a pact to help him? and The Borrim Hunters would never make a pact?

Yes, that's right. Except think of it this way - Morgoth (via Thuringwethil) bribes Uldor with prospects of rewards and power; Uldor promises the Ulfings more land if they follow him into treachery.

There should maybe be an undercurrent of the Ulfings finding the land they hold under Caranthir not quite expansive enough for their numbers. After all, there are a lot of them...I'd say an army of 5000 would be quite a conservative guess for their fighting numbers.

Last edited by Anguirel; 10-04-2006 at 01:12 PM.