View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #184
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Sometimes the best thing is to realize the first idea you threw out immediately as ridiculous is exactly what you ought to do...but you're right about the daughter idea. It was an overly hasty. He can have fatherly feelings toward Lin without cheapening the feelings he would certainly had for any child of his own.

He's not likely to go in search of some formal responsibility until after he gets such a letter, (which may not happen for a couple of days, I haven't decided), when he needs something to keep his mind off things. I'd like to get him established before then as a behind-the-scenes helper, fetching and carrying for Frodides and Kara, aiding Leof in exercising horses, (enough recent arrivals, and Leof young enough, he may welcome some assistance in getting chores done early, especially as the weather gets beautiful, with so many other young people in the Hall), hanging clothes to dry alongside Aethel, perhaps drinking with Garwine and/or Manawyth (it would interest him, as a challenge, to help them get along together, but he is neither a bard nor an armsman, though he respects both professions profoundly).

Of course, I'm not sure if he can or would do all of these things, but if there is a informal plan to move him into the steward's role within the next three weeks game time, his ability needs to be wide in scope and firmly established, so as to give Eodwine the idea. The hall should be a more comfortable berth for him as he ages: plenty to keep him interested, but with young Thornden to train up into the role (and incidentally to help as tasks become more and more difficult with passing years).

Anyway...this is merely long string-of-consciousness ideas. If anyone has any ideas on how to get him involved in the day-to-day life of the Hall, post them or PM me, especially if you're interested in working up a post about it.