View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #153
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Shield

The lanky chestnut was starting to fall behind. The wld boy cried out to Amroth, who turned his thoughts toward him.

He is too tired. Do not kill my horse.

I will not harm him. Let me speak with him.

Do not be cruel! He is tired. We must slow down before he falls.

Amroth spoke to Echo, and Echo slowed. But the boy's chestnut slowed yet more.

She is near. They can rest when we find her.

The boy grew sullen, and his horse dropped to a trot, and then to a walk, blowing hard and lathered. He was spent.

I cannot tarry, Mellon. You can follow my trail and catch up with me.

Mellon slid off, walked forward and gently took his horse's head in his arms. The horse stood stifflegged, and leaned on the boy.

Amroth spoke out loud to the boy. "When I find her then I will help you to find us. I must go." He turned Echo northward again. Come, Echo. She is near. Give me what strength you have left.

On the horizon, he saw a lone figure walking. His heart leaped, and he cried aloud, and then reached out with his mind-- no, it was not his beloved. An Ellon... one of the four who had drawn him from the fiery blackness by their shining. He would speak with him.

Amroth turned his thoughts back to Mellon again. There, you see one who can help us. Follow me to him. Mellon looked up, and squinted; the elf was still far away. He nodded.

"Come, Echo. We draw near." Echo churned forward, his ribs heaving and his eyes white-rimmed. Amroth pressed him forward. When they drew near, the lone elf halted and gazed at Amroth.

Amroth spoke. "A star shone on our meeting last night, and it was indeed blessed."

The lone elf studied the lathered and blowing chestnut, and then his rider, and bowed. Then he looked at him again, puzzled. Amroth felt the elf touch the edge of his thoughts, and saw the surprise on his face. "Hail, and greetings. You and your companion have ridden hard. What is your errand?"

"I am in haste. Good friend and forest-kinsman, give me tidings of Nimrodel. Where is she?"