View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Hanasian enters the Forsaken Inn:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was getting pretty dark when I approached the Forsaken Inn, and I was tired from the day which had started early in Bree. I had done what I promised Lady Benia Nightshade, and now I was back. I watched the lands as I approached the Inn, for the air had a strange but familiar chill to it.

The trail of smoke stretched above the old building before a wisp of cool summer breeze from the north took it south. The rumble of thunder from the faraway Misty Mountains subsided as the darkness fell over the lands, cooling the heat of the day. The chill air won this day's battle, but the dissipating high clouds that shone silver in the rising moons light spoke of another hot day tomorrow.

I slid off Blackveil and took a satchel and bags from her. She would run free without a burden this night, and with a nod and a smile from me she grunted and was off up the grassy knoll behind the Inn and stable. I carried my load the last several hundred feet to the Forsaken and paused outside before entering.

A chill blew over me, and though the breeze was cool, this was one that I had not felt for at least 7 years... my eyes squinted and I looked about the place, and all seemed to be in order. The porch roof that sloped down had shadowed me from the moon, and the din of talk and such came from behind the door. I walked to the side edge and looked about; my eyes followed the horizon slowly north of the road where the grassy hillocks were broken by trees of alder and willow. They were spread out for easy passing, and the tall grass danced in the breeze around them. I looked northeast, in the direction of the Midgewater some miles away, and it looked as it had always. Yes, all appeared on order, but it did not feel right to me. I leaned against one of the posts that held the porch roof up, and wondered for a moment what all this post could tell over the years...

I finally pushed the door open and the sounds grew immediately louder. I stood inside for a moment and looked around at the faces there. It was only a couple days when I was here last, but it seemed so long ago. I looked to my left where the bar stretched out of the wall and ended openly in about 20 feet. A gap between its end and the wall that led straight down the hall to the lower floor rooms was only about five feet, and the traffic of the maids and servers from the kitchen sometimes crowded through with near accidents being avoided at the last second. The staff here had been at a long time, and seemed to know every inch without looking.

Just inside the opening to the hall, there was a stairwell that led up to the right, turning as it did to the left and through an archway to the upper hall, where the larger and nicer, and should I say, more expensive rooms were. But this Inn had seen its better days. The sound of the creaking, worn floorboards could be heard at times through the din of the Inn, and the two large log supporting beams that stood in the middle of the common room floor stretched high to the roof beams, for there were no rooms above the Common Room in this Inn. They all stretched out toward the back. About the floor there were a herd of small tables, each with a brood of rickety stools gathered about, with every one speaking of times past by the carvings that had been left through many of nights revelry through the long years.

The Inn was seeming unusually crowded this night, more so than when I left days before.... the heavy odor of ale and thick aroma of pipeweed being burned, making the room hazy and grey... but the air seemed different, and so I looked at the folk who were there.

A few folk stood along it with their evening beverage in hand, though one had nothing and was ordering. Maethor! I recognized him right off from the sound of his voice as he ordered, and he sensed me, for he looked over his shoulder and I nodded once in greeting. I then looked over the common room and I saw who appeared to be Lady Vanwe, her head down and her hair splayed about. I fingered the pouch I had in my vest pocket, and I thought a bit of that day long ago... Yes, I would give her some of that which I have of Naiore's.

But there would be time for us later. I didn't see Lady Nightshade, but then her ankle would probably keep her from moving too much. She was most likely upstairs talking with Gilly the Halfling, and a slight smile came over me. To have such friends! I would call on her later and see how she is, for my mind again drifted to Farasan, and that day... I need to have an ale.

The fireplace was against the far wall from the door, and it made the two rooms behind it on the lower and upper floor prime ones in the winter months. But tonight the fire was burning low, for the heat was not needed. Its only purpose was to keep a steady supply of water hot for teas, and that which the cooks needed. But the best tables were near it, and so it was I found myself sitting, leaning the old chair to the wall so I could watch the room. Maethor carried two tankards towards my table, and I knew I would owe him at a later time, but still I could not shake the aire I felt since arriving. I kicked out one of the chairs and Maethor set the tankards on the table and went to sat, but my eyes were ever searching the folk. I wonder where Vanwe is? I would like to see her again, and . . . But I had not told any of it save Vanwe, in hopes to finding a clue.

Step could be heard, the sound of heavy boot on well worn wood stairs, and soon one turned and eyed the common room. It was Amandur, and he had sprung for a room upstairs! I waited for his gaze to find me, and as Maethor sat, I lifted my tankard toward Amandur. He too nodded slightly... it was a silent way of the Rangers to greet in public, for the secretive and dark paths the Dúnedain had taken for so many years of darkness made it so, and the fair words of the brethren meeting again would wait for a time when they were alone.

Amandur walked over, and as Maethor turned to see who I was looking at, I pushed out another of the old chairs, this time on my left, for Amandur.

'Hail Amandur!' I said in a low voice not much audible over the din of the crowds' voices. Maethor too mouthed a word of greeting, and his arm went out for a maid to bring refreshment for our newest arrival.

I shed my satchel and bags by the hearth and wall near my chair, and too the blanket and my cloak which covered it all. I stretched my bare, sun-darkened arms a bit my black leather-clad legs straightened under the table. It had been a long ride to and from Bree. I felt again that chill and I again felt the pouch in my vest pocket. I looked first to Maethor, then to Amandur, and leaned forward as I set my tankard down on the table and said in a slight whisper,

'She is near, I feel it!'

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-11-2006 at 10:33 AM.