View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002, 04:19 PM   #66
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Yes, Child and Stone of Vision, my notions and words are improved by both of you.
Quote:
I don’t know if the ring could be considered like the fourth of them. I would rather see it like the link/ the tools/ the mediator/ the motor between the threesome’ s interaction.
Yes, Stone of Vision, that is what I have been trying (and failing) to say. Thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Gollum has not worn the Ring for perhaps 50 years after having lived an unlife of slavery to it for perhaps 500 years, his own murderous greed in having first possessed the Ring working the evil and slavery into him more quickly than it might otherwise have done.

Frodo bears it and has had it in his humble possession for perhaps 20 years; he has worn it and perceived the negative world of spirit, and has become more powerful in force of will because of his refusal to give into it by the time Smeagol joins the triad.

Sam remains an observer only until he has worn the Ring. What changes do we see in him because of his temporary possession of it? One change has been spoken of already, regarding his newfound pity for Gollum on Mount Doom. What else is there?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote