View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Hmmm...Ecthelion, Glorfindel or Fingolfin against Azaghal? I think any of the three Elves mentioned would mop the floor with the dwarf. My reasoning? Simple. Glorfindel and Ecthelion fought balrogs singlehandedly and Fingolfin squared off alone against Morgoth (yes, they were all three killed, but in the first two cases, they also killed the Balrogs, and Fingolfin so badly wounded Morgoth that he walked with a limp everafter and never fought in combat again). Azaghal proved very brave against Glaurung, but he didn't fight him singlehanded and he died even with other dwarves' support, while Glaurung lived to fight another day. And as far as Balrogs, it seems an entire dwarrow of Dwarves could not defeat a Balrog.
Then again, overall the elves of the Third Age aren't the elves of the First Age. Fingolfin, Feanor, Maedhros, etc were far more powerful than Legolas. I don't think it's fair to compare Third Age dwarves, who lost Moria, to the dwarves of the First Age.