View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 04:13 PM   #294
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She was not taken in by the grin. ‘There are apples in the kitchen, if you wish one.’ She got up from her stool and walked him there, offering him one of the shiny red Shire fruit and a cool glass of water from the sink pump. He followed her, as she bade him to her rooms.

Once there, she looked through the small closet to the left of the door. It was at times like this she wished she were a tidier person. ‘Ah! Here it is.’ she said, fishing out a small backpack from a pile at the back. She handed the much used leather pack to the boy, who looked at it in a bemused manner.

‘Pack it up with all you wish to take or think you will need.’ She picked up an unused drawing pad from her desk and two drawing charcoals. ‘Draw me a picture of your journey as you go along, little master.’ She smiled at him and placed the items in the front pocket of the pack.

‘I shall have the cook leave a packet of food for you, a skin of water, and some apples. You can leave tomorrow if you wish, and go as far as the food will take you.’ She slipped a few silver pennies into a small pouch and tying it securely, put it into one of the side pockets. ‘Use these if you need to find a safe room for the night.’

‘You have a dagger, I have seen. So, you will have some measure of defense should you need it. And you have your sharp wits, so you should do well.’

He stopped midbite of his apple, realizing she was letting him walk out the door and meant it to be soon.

‘Anything else you require . . .?’