View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
But hair long enough to act as a cloak is unusual even for women, if you think about it. Consider the picture of BlanchetteGaladriel earlier in this thread - her hair there is long by any standards, and yet it wouldn't even cover her waist. So is Saeros implying that "if men's hair is so long, how long must a woman's be?" - or, is what he actually saying, "you are all wild and unkept, how high can we raise the bar on wildness?". "Clad only in hair" doesn't mean that the hair is actually long enough to serve as a garment, but just there to underscore that there is no other garment (and relate this to the previous insults). That's the whole point. He's not saying their dress is unusual, he is calling them utterly uncivilized and lacking dress. It's like the old joke about people wearing Adam and Eve's costumes. Besides, long hair for women isgenerally considered a good attribute. Honestly, I never read it to imply hair length, and while I see that as an interpretation for the taunts directed at Turin's person, I don't see that here at all.
I kind of agree that he's mostly on about looking a mess, but the fact that he has two back to back comments about long hair says something about his attitudes towards it. I just can't tell whether it's "your hair is too long" or "all hair is long, you should take care of it."

hS