View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
Val Balmer
Pile O'Bones

Val Balmer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
As Tolkien explains in some length that the pure idea of perservation of the state of affairs is sinfull in a world that is based on change/progression, I do not think that neither the Silmarills nor the Rings of Power needed any farther taint. The concept that leads to the making of both was a step away from a true belive and trust in Ilúvatar.

But since that 'road of sins' is slipery and step, these artefacts rapidly collect more taints when used or desired.

Respectfully
Findegil
I don't think Tolkien was thinking of the Silmarils as "tainted" nor as a step away from the plans of Ilúvatar. First of all in the Silmarillion they are hallowed by Varda, and she wouldn't have done that against His consent. Furthermore the Silmaril of Eärendil is in the Third Age a symbol of hope.

The analogies for me are simply two:
1) Both the Silmarils and the Rings are meant to preserve. In the rings there's clearly a negative elements as the preservations does not permit time to evolve naturally. They are not only "memory"

2) Both the Silmarils and the Rings are the objects behind the wars of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ages.
Val Balmer is offline   Reply With Quote