View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 03:43 AM   #7069
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay; so here's everything described as 'armour', 'plate', 'corslet', 'hauberk', or 'mail', that could reasonably be the answer (so not 'the armour the goblins wore in Goblin Town):

From The Hobbit
-Mithril vest (explicitly no)
-Thorin's armour of gold-plated rings, which was rent when he was killed (probably too small & confirmed not Feanor's work)
-Dwarf-mail as worn by Dain's folk ('a hauberk of steel mail that hung to his knees', so might fit Eowyn, but I think confirmed dwarf-make).
--No obvious candidates here.

From Fellowship
-Earendil's armour of 'chained rings', from Bilbo's poem. (Either First Age, or invented by Bilbo and therefore a Hobbit thing)
-Aragorn's elven-mail, seen by Frodo in Rivendell. (May not have actually existed; the text is unclear.)
-The Orc-chieftain's 'black mail from head to foot' in Moria. (Given that he was 'almost man-high', this would have covered most of Eowyn's body.)
-The grey mail of the guards of Lorien. (Entirely possible.)
--The two Elvish mail sets are possible, but seem a bit obscure.

From Two Towers
-The 'shining mail' given to Aragorn and Legolas by the Rohirrim. (Perfectly plausible; Aragorn's is mentioned later as 'the armour of Rohan', and ultimately they come from Gondor, so could potentially but not likely be Feanor's work.)
-Gimli's 'short corslet' (explicitly made by dwarves).
-The 'corslet of overlapping brazen plates' worn by the slain Easterling. (Also plausible.)
-Eowyn's silver mail. (I mean... yeah.)
-The missing hauberk from the lament for Eorl. (I'm gonna go with no.)
--A few options, but none that spring out as being notable.

From Return of the King
-Merry's 'stout jerkin of leather' from Eowyn. Taken from the Rohirric camp, it could presumably be worn by Eowyn (but is a 'Hobbit thing').
-Pippin's Gondorian armour (was made for him, and would not fit Eowyn).
-'armour of the Citadel'; general Gondorian armour. (Is this specific enough, though?)
-Forlong's mail. (Could work.)
-The 'bright mail' of the sons of Elrond. (Possible.)
-The gilded hauberk of Prince Baldor of Rohan, lying with his bones in the Paths of the Dead. (Very possible.)
-Hirgon's 'fine mail'. (Possible.)
-Denethor's mail, which he wore all the time. (Possible.)
-Prince Imrahil's 'shining mail'. (Again, possible.)
-Frodo's 'stout ring-mail' of his Orc disguise, noted as being too big for him, so a possible fit for Eowyn. (But a Hobbit thing.)
-A 'coat of gilded mail' given to Sam. (Also Hobbitish.)
-Aragorn's 'black mail' from his return to Minas Tirith. (Possible.)
-The Witch-King's hauberk. (Entirely possible.)
--Quite a few possibilities here.

From the Appendices
-The mail-collar of Nain, which didn't save him from being killed by Azog. (Presumably dwarf-make.)
--Probably not then.

Going through all that, I think there's 13 plausible answers:

-Three sets of Aragorn's mail.
-An Orc in Moria.
-Easterling.
-Eowyn's mail.
-Armour of the Citadel.
-Forlong.
-Baldor
-Hirgon
-Denethor
-Imrahil
-Witch-King

Six of them were used during the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, which might be a way to narrow things down. Equally, seven were worn by people who were killed while wearing them (assuming the Witch-King counts as being 'killed'); eight if you include the fact that Guards of the Citadel certainly died in battle. All of them are mail except the Easterling's scale-mail; I didn't realise that Tolkien didn't include plate armour!

Five of them are not silver in colour (assuming the Witch-King wasn't prancing about in shiny mail). Only three are worn by evil characters (assuming we exclude Denethor and Baldor from that!). Seven were worn by royals (ie, Aragornx3, Baldor, Eowyn, Imrahil, and the Witch-King). I dunno, there's lots of options.

I think the time-fix is going to be the most useful, so I would like to ask:

Was it worn at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields?

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote