Thread: Words in Words
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 11:02 PM   #329
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, thanks, I think I'll take it myself (although I did have it considerably easier, what with going first)

Ok; the following passage will contain ten words. They could be from any source, but are specific terms for Tolkien's inventions only -- I think all people or places -- not simply English words that feature in the books ('ring', for example, will not be allowed, although 'Treebeard' would as it is a specific translaion that refers to a specific thing). If you find one that I didn't know about (Rohan or Roan, for example) then you can have a bonus point [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. If the sound of the letters you have found resembles something, then chances are it is a good guess.

The man, wearing a coat of thin material -- a purple iridescent washed with blue dye -- looked around him before striding into the field. His eyes were dull, mostly dark blue but with a slight yellow in the inner circle.

The tree that had stood there, in time far ago on the top of a mound, had had an 'ethel' branch grafted onto it that had caused it to collapse. The hulk was now covered with ringed colonies of moulds and fungi that had turned it snow-white. Trees, left dead like this, can stay solid for many years; however this one looked like collapsing quickly.

The wind blew through the man's course hair as he stooped to look at what lay on this log. The rotten bark was black, but a still blacker eel lay snugly in a crack. The man's eyes opened wider.....

Some of these may be rather tricky. I might give a small clue: the very last word in the passage is the hardest to find. Or at least it should be.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote