Thread: Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #87
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Devil in the detail

Hi all,

Davem, mst say that in some aspects I do agree with you, while inclining to your 'opposition' in others. As I've not entirely sorted the 'whys and wherefores' in my own head, I'll confine myself to nitpicking the article you quoted.

Quote:
Nobody in the hobbit fellowship displays cowardice under fire
Though the soldiers of Minas Tirith do

Quote:
nobody goes mad in the heat of battle
Eomer gets rather carried away at the Pelennor

Quote:
The warriors don't get bored or irritable or horny on their long journey to Mordor
Who knows? Practically nothing is said of the warriors on their journey to Mordor!

Quote:
at the climax before the Black Gate of Mordor, when our heroes make a useless, suicidal charge against a fixed position
No they don't, they defend the 2 ash hills

Quote:
nobody suggests, even as a theoretical possibility, that their noble commanders might be fools
though the Rohirrim come pretty close to it on the way to Helm's Deep

Quote:
Nobody in the hobbit fellowship displays cowardice under fire; nobody ever accidentally kills somebody on his own side; nobody goes mad in the heat of battle. The warriors don't get bored or irritable or horny on their long journey to Mordor; not even the studly Aragorn ever sneaks away from camp at night to look for the nearest elf bordello. The few people in the book who oppose the war invariably turn out to be under the malign influence of Sauron. Even at the climax before the Black Gate of Mordor, when our heroes make a useless, suicidal charge against a fixed position (as tended to happen quite often on the western front), nobody suggests, even as a theoretical possibility, that their noble commanders might be fools.
All of these happen (in 1st Age context) with Turin and his pals