View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #12
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaelin
One thing about this chapter that also strikes me is the phrase "being at strife with the world". It could also describe the sons of Feanor in their vow of vengeance against any who withhold a Silmaril from them. The phrase reflects a sense of disharmony with Iluvatar's Arda, and to me implies a willingness to go against his will. In terms of Tolkien's Christian faith, disobedience to God's will is the root of humanity's tendency toward sin. Considered this way the phrase has always led me to think that it is a wonder that some Men in The Silmarillion *don't* fall.
You know... I'm thinking now... and what you've said here is prompting some ideas. Not very solid ones, but it's interesting that you mention Tolkien's Christian faith and "the world".

See, there is an opposition in Christianity (well... the Catholic branch is the one I'm familiar with, but that's where Tolkien was coming from too, so I shall generalise) of God, and all that is with God: ie. Christians, and "the world". Christians are, ideally, said to "live in the world, but are not of the world".

Taken out of context, and applied to Men in Middle-Earth, that sounds very like the Doom of Men, does it not?

What's also interesting is the fact that "being at strife with the world" could be, in a Christian context, taken as a POSITIVE description of Man being so different from the Quendi, in that it would be evidence of Man's ability to work against Fate allowing him to work against evil (that is, the World).

Interesting thoughts, anyway...