View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaelin
Yet the last paragraph of this chapter blames the estrangement of Men and Elves as the work of Morgoth, ending

. . .

So BB's comment that the names given to Men by Elves reflects the growing estrangement between the Children of Iluvatar makes sense, yet it is the influence of Morgoth which causes the two Peoples to withdraw from each other.
Hello and welcome to the Downs, Alphaelin. I don't think I've had the pleasure of posting with you before--although to be honest I'm hopeless most of the time with names. And faces don't count here!

That quotation does not of itself suggest the estrangement is solely due to Morgoth. Perhaps it is my lack of liking of the elves, but I can't help but think that at least part of the estrangement derives from the elves' own failing. They are mightily involved with themselves and their own skills, talents, abilities. There's even a quote somewhere which specifices how they had little time for races other than their own. LotR? I can't recall now. Despite being created by Eru, I think the elves had weaknesses and failings and are at least somewhat responsible for their--can I use this word?--eventual extinction in Middle-earth.