View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 07:38 AM   #113
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

In the middle of his conversation with Taliesin and Strenge, Caraedry noticed a cute, little girl walk up to him. "Mr., do you have any books that I could read? I'm almost five!" the girl said, hopping up and down. "Well hello. What's your name?" Caraedry said as he got on his knees to level with her. "Delaynn" the girl said in a tender voice. "Well Delaynn, as a matter of fact, I think I have an excellent book for you!"Caraedry said as he pulled his bag off the table and grabbed a small book. On the cover of the book said, A Child's Guide to Middle Earth. "Thank you Mr. Caraedry! Thank you thank you thank you!" Delaynn said as she paid Caraedry and hopped off.

As the noise of the Inn returned to a jubilant hum, Bethberry spied the book seller, returnd to hawk his wares once again. Bethberry was rather taken aback at his audacity; she knew Aylwen was busy elsewhere, so she addressed the fellow once again.

"I suppose you are accustomed to stealing market stalls, Mr Caraedy?" she observed.

"Well, um, I .... " stammered the man, frowning and making questioning looks towards Taliesin.

Bethberry waited patiently, watching the man's face intently until a slow red spread up his cheeks.

"There are good folk here who are in need of food and rest and relaxation. They aren't keen to be inveigled or dunned out of their money. Perhaps you did not understand this point earlier."

"Um, well, ma'am, um perhaps not. But I do now!" he recovered with an attempt at a grin and charming way.

"Good, then we can strike a bargain. There's room over in the word hoard, an extra table. Three silver pieces will give you use of it for tonight and tomorrow."

She held her hand out to him in a way that made clear he should accept or else find himself and his books out on the street.

"Could I offer you goods in exchange in place of coin? I've just the very book which would suit such a distinquished ..." his voice trailed off as he watched her raise an eyebrow and lower her smile into a firmer, determined pose.

He quickly mulled over his options and then ...
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'

Last edited by The Perky Ent; 05-13-2004 at 07:07 PM.