View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #38
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The World is Black, the World is White...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lush
Not neccessarily, darling. Galadriel's motivation was ambiguous...Fëanor screwed up his great potential and plunged his own kind into darkness and despair. ...Turgon...All of the above, characters, I would argue, received their gifts from Eru.

See, it's not as black and white as your above statement would have me believe.
Lush, darling , I think you're being too picky with The Shroom.

Morgoth should be the prime example. He started off WHITE: good/perfect/obedient to Eru and his revealed will. Morgoth got his power/abilities directly from Eru in the beginning. He had a free will though, and as the Initial and Master Corrupter, violated Eru's desires/intention/boundaries/will. BLACKening himself, if you will.

So the initial corruption pattern was established. Other corruptions (working of evil=BLACK) follow the pattern that is established. Subsequent actions taken by those beings who take their power/instructions/cues from Morgoth are using the wrong source for the wrong goals. Is that part "black and white?"

Other beings who take their power/instructions/cues instead from Eru (or indirectly from others who are acting obediently directly in relation to Eru) are using the right source for the right goals. As best as they see fit. And respectful that they have a Master to be accountable to. However, being agents of free will, at any time, one of them (Fëanor, Saruman) can choose to violate the express will of Eru (as best they know it--I am not quibbling over this particular point).

So in my opinion, it is fairly much black and white. With the caveat that you don't look at a person at any snapshot of time and say, they are WHITE without any chance of exercising free will and BLACKening themselves into the enemy's camp.