View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Moments of pure emotion lace this chapter - just some examples.
Quote:
And so it was that Gwaihir saw them with his keen far-seeing eyes, as down the wild wind he came, and daring the great peril of the skies he circled in the air: two small dark figures, forlorn, hand in hand upon a little hill, while the world shook under them, and gasped, and rivers of fire drew near. And even as he espied them and came swooping down, he saw them fall, worn out, or choked with fumes and heat, or stricken down by despair at last, hiding their eyes from death.
Now we know that Sam and Frodo do not die here, but it still jars my soul every time I read this, (except for the first time when I was overjoyed that Gwaihir would save them) - Yes, they survived, but just read the text in bold - they, themselves, KNEW they were going to die, and horribly so. How my heart goes out to them......

And then of course, we get the supreme moment (for me) in the whole of the book. (and as an aside the one bit in the movies when I cried like a baby!)
Quote:
'Well, if that isn't the crown of all!' he (Sam) said. 'Strider, or I'm still asleep!'
'Yes, Sam, Strider,' said Aragorn. 'It is a long way, is it not, from Bree, where you did not like the look of me? A long way for us all but yours has been the darkest road.'
And then to Sam's surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he led them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice rang over all the host, crying: 'Praise them with great praise!'
This was so powerful to me. The King of Gondor bowing before two hobbits. Not only did it show the great importance and praise of the hobbits, but also showed the Mark of the Man in that Aragorn, King, would bow to others. A King normally does not bow, and it shows great humility and honour in Aragorn.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote