View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulvenok View Post
Many westerners had a romanticised vision of the native american indians back then and I think even Tolkien might have fallen prey to this. The buffalo bill tour through europe popularized the legends of cowboys and indians, I don't think young Tolkien escaped this and it might have influenced him, but probably not.
Maybe. Certainly, Tolkien had no problem with "native" type peoples, he casts the Lossoth/Snowmen of Forochel (who as the ME equivalent of (probably Greenland) Ekimos/Inuit are problaby the closest thing we actually have to Indians in ME (yes I know Inuit are a different group than native Americans, but they are as close as we probably get).) in an extremely positve light (I apologize for having to use the world "Indian" if it offends but in this contex "Native American" doesnt really work, since Greenland isn't part of America [ A bit like the problem that I, who live in the US have talking about Lenny Henry in a PC manner (He isn't African American, because he isn't American, and "African British" doesn't sound quite right.) And in ME, NO human group can really be given the descriptor of "First Nation" (to use the Canadian Term)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote