View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #52
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Another of the now long chapters, and one almost does not know where to start about it. I am going to skip the things Esty mentions in her first post in this thread and note just the things which stand out on me, or which affected me this time.

I will start by negation. It is not true that the "Sitting by the fire" song is the only one in this chapter. Right at the beginning, we have a short poem, which, nevertheless, always comes into my mind by the end of autumn. It is short, but I quite like it, and it's not to be omitted just for that.

Have you noticed Sam's remark after Bilbo puts forward his suggestion of the end "and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after"? He pragmatically (as is his habit) adds "Ah! And where will they live? That's what I often wonder." Referring just to the Fellowship as a group, this question will be quite appropriate: at least when it comes to Frodo and Sam, definitely. If I were to put it in a very extreme words, the ultimate good end would have to ensure that the Sackville-Bagginses give up the Bag End back to the original owners. Now just look - it really ends like that, and it's very tragic perspective, actually. But let's leave the grim future for the appropriate time.

There is also one thing which really caught my eye this time, and that's these Bilbo's words about good endings.
Quote:
"What about helping me with my book, and making a start on the next? Have you thought of an ending?"
"Yes, several, and all are dark and unpleasant," said Frodo.
"Oh, that won't do!" said Bilbo. "Books ought to have good endings."
Now I could not help but think - maybe it was because I read On Fairy-Stories recently - that Bilbo's response represents Tolkien's point of view, at least how presented in OFS. "Books ought to have good endings." Isn't that the Professor himself speaking here? Or having an inner dialogue with his own Frodo, who sees the world around, the threat of war and such? (Or when did he write this part?) I find this interesting, indeed.

From a different cup, I always wondered about the odd countings of "dead" Riders at the Fords. The scouts find eight dead horses, which means one horse probably survived. Also they find a tattered black cloak. Is that the cloak of the Witch-King? But then, as he was the first to ride into the water, his horse was the first one to get drowned, i.e. one of the first three horses found. Why to put the cloak away then? Legolas could surely tell us about that: A Rider escapes both from the flood and from the attacking Aragorn and Glorfindel. He leaves his horse dead, while another of his companions still has his horse unharmed. Being pleased with this, he then sits down and takes off his cloak! That at least is enough to show that he was either in serious shock after the encounter, or that he was mimicking Gandalf with the uncloaking.
In any case, I thought this time, doesn't it look a little like that the Fellowship could meet one Rider still right after they leave Rivendell? Maybe a little pressure on our feelings, to think about a possible threat when the Company leaves.

Anyway, to the rest of the chapter. A few points about equipment. The mithril-coat indeed saves Frodo in the future and had he not had it with himself, he would have died about four times, if not more (for the last time, even by the hands of Saruman by the very door of Bag End!). Another thing about equipment which returns several times in the future are Sam's words about a rope. This will return like a refrain and it kind of culminates on Emyn Muil, when the elven rope unties itself on asking.

I find it very funny how Sam thinks that Caradhras is already Mount Doom. It will be very nice, wouldn't it? Poor Sam

Legolas and Gimli are given quite a lot of space in this chapter, Gimli commenting the mountains (also in Dwarven language) and Legolas commenting Eregion and later, running around on the snow.

And Caradhras, yes, the ultimate mystery. There have been whole threads devoted to solving what Caradhras is (if it is anything), and I am not going to start even about my personal beliefs here. Let me just add this: in a way, I find Caradhras more sinister than let's say the Balrog, because it is an alien power which is not quite identified, only we know that it is an enemy.

Well, so what - does anyone have anything to say about this chapter? Don't be shy! It can be just a few lines, or a few thoughts, what you like, or what you don't like.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote