View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I did... quite a lot of jotting. So rather than drop over 600 words here, I've left them on my notes document:

"Finrod-Zong" 2014 - Huinesoron's commentary
That's amazing! :-D I agree with a lot of what you say there. I love the Feanorians in Version 2, and I like their Luthien as well. Actually, I really like the scene where the Feanorians try to seduce Luthien in this version. I also absolutely agree with you about both Amarie songs. Thingol is... well, Thingol is. Yeah. I really like Melian's lines - they do follow the gist of what she tells Thingol in the text, but with more expansion, and they ring so true because you know what actually happens later in The Sil. And Finrod cosplaying Jareth the Goblin King - that is PERFECT! At least now we know what decade he dropped from.

Two main things I didn't see the same way. I liked the parting duet between Beren and Finrod here, even though Beren is really too fierce and brooding and dark for Beren, for its Finrod component. This piece isn't present in Version 1, and I really liked the addition of Finrod trying to make sense of his life. The idea of how he would justify himself, or even figure out what he stands for, what his life meant - "a mesmerized witness of other people's oaths", and later repeated as "other people's doom" - I think that is a perfect fit for Finrod, following Feanor, following Beren, trying to do best and always just caught up in another's fate.

The other things I would disagree on are related to the two Sauron duel with Finrod. I rewatched this version again and I actually didn't like it, but only in comparison to Version 1. They sing on pitch but without expression, it doesn't have the same feel. I guess this isn't as noticeable when you don't follow the exact words, but still. Version 1 duel wins. The more I go back and forth between them, the more I am convinced of that. If you think this Rock Sauron is brilliant, you should really see the Version 1 duel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Overall, I think the writing is spot on, with the sole exception of That Thingol Moment (perhaps we can rationalise it as a fantasy sequence by Cel'n'Cur?)
That Moment. Yup.

In general, he seems to be the butt of the joke, almost the comic relief of the musical: "I am an immortal creation of Eru, don't equate me with a Man!" or "I sent him to do some quest or other - just to get a Silmarill [with that innocent tone of voice]". But I think that aspect of him grew on me. However, That Moment - yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
The music is great - I've already caught myself humming some chunks of it. I intend to watch the Version 1 copy now I've got a feel for it, though I'm not sure when that'll happen.
I recommend it for the superior Beren and Sauron (and some excellent minions), as well as the non-Jarethian Finrod. And a less military and more Tralalaly Thingol. But be prepared for a let down in other areas. In particular I think the Beren-in-Nargothrond scene and the Duel scene are worth checking out. The Duel is just extremely well acted, and Beren is a much more believable and earnest guy with an open heart and a full range of emotional capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
In the grand tradition of opera, I'm not sure it's possible to follow the story if you don't already know it, but that's fine. I'm almost tempted to put it on without subtitles at some point and see how well the acting conveys the story; not sure which version, though.
Oh, Version 1, hands down! Especially if you wanna try it without the subs, now having seen the text in the better translation.

But yes, you do need to know The Sil before watching, or it will make no sense. However, if you do know The Sil, you will find so many little references to so many things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
G55 - yes, Luthien wears blue in at least one source text (a blue gown with silver stars, I believe). Galadriel was 100% dressed as Luthien there. It's stage-acting, we make allowances.
Ok, I was not imagining things and not the only one with the cognitive dissonance. That makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Thank you so very much for posting about this! It's great. ^_^ (I wonder if the music is available anywhere...)
I am very glad you liked it! Thanks for watching it and thanks for the comments! I did do a bit of digging around for more information about the show, and came across a link that supposedly has the soundtracks but unfortunately the link was broken. However, my various searchings also lead me to a Version 4, which I will probably watch in the next couple days and then add the comments. If I see the music anywhere I will let you know. (Unless you wanna just download the youtube video as an mp3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

ETA: I've just re-watched the Oath, and I totally see what you mean about Cur being terrifying but Cel looking terrified! :-D

Edit: Version 4 seems to be the completed metal version for which Version 3 was a test-run. Higher budget, but not necessarily higher Tolkien quality. I don't like the metal. But I haven't watched the full thing, just episodes. I don't think I wanna listen to this much metal though.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-26-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote