View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
All commentary I've seen on this dispute basically takes the line "Evil Meanie Unions Are Evil And Spoiling Everything". However, I think it might be useful to check out what the other side actually said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Actors' Guild "members' alert"
The producers have advised they do not intend to negotiate with the union. Consequently the usual provisions of the New Zealand contract would apply. These include a provision which permit the producer to terminate the contract at any time without obligation to pay out the performer’s contract. This provision could also be used to justify non-payment of any residual obligation which may have been agreed above (even after the performer has performed all their work on the film and even if the performer’s work is used in the film).
Full text here.

Now, I don't know the rights and wrongs of this business, or whether that really is how things currently work in NZ, but it does seem to cast a somewhat different light on the issue.