View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #405
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
“If we do run into those olog-hai, then surely it would be better for us if the monsters were interested in orc meat rather than our own?”
Aiwendil's eyes flashed with fire as he heard the words from Khamir's mouth. Despite his mounting anger, he checked his temper before slowly turning to confront the slave leader. The meek old man, the confused but good hearted tender of animals who had been with them for most of the journey, had totally disappeared. In his place was a tall, stern father, who admonished his children with a long wooden staff that seemed to glow and pulse as jagged brown shadows fell over the assemblage.

"No, Khamir, no. You do not know what you say. To turn the orcs loose, even to kill them for crimes they have undoubtedly committed in other times and places......that is one thing. But to keep them with us and hold them as bait to snare our enemies to their death? If we do that, we become no better than they. We stoop to their level and play their games and, by so doing, become part of what they are. Do not speak of such things. It is not a matter of Ellessar's laws or some false notion of honor. There are laws that govern Arda whose roots lie far deeper than that. We are here, all of us, because of those dictates.

"Khamir, of all those who stand in this circle you know how easy it is for those in Mordor to lose heart and soul. What you suggest would set us on a perilous road from which there is no return. Persuade me that these ruffians deserve to die because of past acts. That I can believe. But do not suggest a plan that would have us become like the vermin of the Shadow Lord."

"I will tell you the truth. If we are going to defeat the olog-hai, we must have allies at our side. Alone, we will be powerless. Where we will get these allies, I do not know. Would that we had run into a troop of soldiers from the west rather than this pack of orcs! But such is our doom. Decide then the fate of these orcs: life or death. But do not speak of bringing them along to use as bait....."

"Aiwendil is right." There was a stirring in the crowd as Lindir stepped forward to address the group. "I can accept a judgment of life or death, but I will not have these orcs dragged along as live bait. Remember, one time in the distant past, before Morgoth twisted their lives, each of these poor creatures was actually a man.....or an elf. Whatever they have done, nothing can erase that fact. Let all who wish to be heard speak their mind as to whether these orcs should live or die. You already know my feelings on this. But this decision must not belong to only one. If most in this company vote for death on the grounds of the foul acts these orcs have committed in the past, I will not stand in the way. Speak then, one by one, and we will make a tally.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-03-2007 at 02:35 PM.