Thread: Reverse Gripes
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #21
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Of Friends, Good Leaf and a Mighty Warrior

I have to lend my voice to the movie Boromir chorus and sing Sean Bean's praises. PJ and co made the guy eminently more likeable than the Boromir who travelled with the Fellowship in the book. True, as pointed out by MatthewM there are many who mourn the passing of Boromir in the book, he says little to endear us to him while he travels as one of the nine walkers. Most of his dialogue puts him at odds with the rest of the party, who seem to spend most of their time saying "shut up, Boromir!". Not to mention his horn blowing as the secret mission sets out in the dead of night from Rivendell.

I particularly enjoyed the scene just before the Crébain arrived, when Boromir is teaching Merry and Pippin some of the finer points of swordsmanship.

I think that the friendship of the four hobbits in the Fellowship was played out exceptionally well on screen. The chemistry between Elijah, Sean, Dom and Billy was evident, and you really felt like these were four best friends alternately out having the time of their life, or passing through intense suffering with the help of one another. They were so tight that when the Grey Havens came, and it was time for Frodo to leave them, I found myself crying in the theatre for the first time ever. Also mainly because it is the most emotional moment in the book, and I was drawing on the same emotions I feel when I read that scene.

I also liked PJs cheeky allusions as to the exact nature of pipeweed. "Finest weed in the South Farthing" and "your love of the halfling's leaf has slowed your mind". Well done, although I'm sure the Professor would not have approved!