View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #482
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Any thoughts or suggestions? What sounds less jarring - Earl Beren? Cyning Beren?
It's quite possible that Beren's title was formally Beor. It's a Taliska word meaning "vassal", which was taken by Balan as a personal name; the Fingolfin/Finarfin case shows that adopting the first king's name as (part of) your own was a Middle-earth concept.

Liege is a viable translation of beor, in the sense of 'The subject of a sovereign or lord; a liegeman'. But in more common use, it refers to the sovereign or lord themselves: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, of all things, uses this ("Bedevere, my liege!"). If we picture Beren as a feudal lord, it's a very possible word.

Landgrave is exactly right for Beren's position - he's a major landowner who owes fealty directly to Finrod as overlord. But it's maybe a bit long, and too modern-sounding even though nobody knows the word.

If you want to go for something people will recognise but not immediately be able to place - Thane, as in "Hail Macbeth, Thane of Cawdor". Actually that might be a really good option - it's a title for landowners under the crown, but it's also the origin of Thain (of the Shire). Middle-earth precendent!

Unlike a lot of the others, you can also use it in all positions - "My Thane", "Thane Beren", "Beren, Thane of Dorthonion". It doesn't have a historical feminine form (because sexism & patriarchy), but it ultimately derives from the same roots as "thine", the pronoun. Thine is the source of German dein, which in the feminine is deine - 'thine-a(h)'. A female title Thana or Thegna would fit in nicely. Or go full Hobbit and just do Thain/Thaina.

I'm kind of inclined towards Thane/Thegna myself; the feminine is different enough that it looks natural, while not being so different that you can't connect the two.

hS