View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #40
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril 'All The Pretty Little Orcses...'

Quote:
It is also like the "she-dwarf" thing in the sense that they are rarely mentioned.
It may be that they are actually like 'she-dwarves' - like the dwarves, I seriously doubt the orcs simply "spring out of stone". So instead of simply not existing, it may simply have been unnecessary to mention them: they may not have done anything of particular note. Bear in mind that even in mention of the dwarves, only one female was ever named and noted, the mother of Kili and Fili.

And if, as is often and certainly stereotypically the case with humans, the female orcs were not as strong or physically able as the men, they may just have been counted as irrelevant - maybe they were much smaller than their male counterparts, and so just get beaten back into insignifigance. The Dark Lord didn't exactly seem to go in for a cuddly and politically correct approach: if there were female orcs and this was the case, they may simply have been used as breeding machines - simply a brutal way or achieving new warriors.

Still, producing orcs by means of a conventional union in the way of Men, Elves, Hobbits etc would probably be a little tiresome and slow for the ends of Sauron. It would take time not only for the actual union, meaning also that some orcs would have to be at the base to carry it out, but in a more long term sense, there is the problem of the orcs in childhood: during this time, they would not be able to fight, especially when very young. Surely this would seem a bit of a time-waster for Sauron. Maybe there was another way? Or, if not, how long is an orc 'childhood'? In this 'childhood', what sort of things would be done - certainly, I don't think the orcs could ever really be described as an 'educationally-inclined' race, but the hatred of the Free Races of Middle Earth, and especially of the elves, was certainly passed on somehow - how?