View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
That's blimming good, Huey!
Thanks! Filking is great - you don't have to come up with an interesting tune yourself, it's right there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
And here I was thinkjng that Galadriel hasn't seen her family for 3 Ages...
It certainly adds an extra layer to things if the call to return that she rejected was from her dad, in person.

Quote:
"You made solemn promise"?
Agreed.

Quote:
Yes, I think "is merely" is what he really means, but when you sing it it comes out Is mereLY.
I mean... I'm not sure if it's the Russian getting to me, but I don't mind slightly weird syllable-emphasis in minor words. I guess we'll see how it sings.

Quote:
Yeah, you've suggested that before. I didn't like it, because in the Sil Beren is talking to Thingol, with snark and sacrasm - and even in the sarcasm, he still means it, that Thingol would exchange Luthien for an object. Whereas here, he is opening his heart to Finrod with complete honesty, and is lamenting the difficulty of the task. However... it's still somewhat of a snide remark at Thingol, so maybe a dose of sarcasm is not too out of place...

What about "Such the price he set for his kingly honour"?
That's a good compromise.

Quote:
-- Yes.
[Throws up hands] Elves!

Quote:
I like that best of the three options, I think.
Done.

Quote:
"How might" and either of the two work. I think "this course" is more accurate of what he means, a course of action in the general sense, but "this road" sounds more dramatic. I am leaning "road", I think.

"Ought to" would do well, yeah... "I ought to have foreseen this"? But this is supposed to be a question recognizing that he really couldn't have foreseen it. Dunno.
I think might/road for now; the 'ought' version is just too big a stretch.

Quote:
...Stop dismantling my Yoda grammar!

Yeah, you're probably right.
I mean, we could go all-in on the Yoda...

Naught but madness I hear in what you said,
Poisoned is this cup, hmm, my doom it's brewing
Eldar crave not honour, but to serve instead;
Dangerous this passion - our lives you'll ruin!

Quote:
Ha! I knew it would be Carcharoth! I knew it! I win an imaginary trinket.
[Solemnly hands over a brooch]

Quote:
(Speaking of imaginary trinkets, it only came to me now how much our lives on the Downs resemble the lives in the Halls of Mandos, at least as told in the Script. Some people "formed" and active, others lurking to varying degrees, others still completely insubstantial. Time generally goes by slowly, it a thread was equated to a conversation - but sometimes it goes fast - Deadline Chicken anyone? - and has no correlation to RL time. The difference, of course, being that we want people to stay here. I guess an Undead theme is very appropriate for what we do.)
P@L was Very Online, so it's quite possible this is deliberate. But you're right, it is uniquely appropriate to the Downs as it currently stands.

Quote:
I liked the Script, it was an excellent read! It's a shame it's unfinished. I know I've complained about some stuff not going the way I envisioned, but that's only because all the rest of it had nothing to complain of.
From my side, it's been a delight to get to talk about it; I've loved the Script for more than a decade, despite its flaws. (Incidentally, just yesterday someone mentioned that they heard from P@L earlier this year! She's still alive and well, and apparently does some non-fandom sort of writing. So it's just possible that someday she'll come back and finish it off...!

(That's what the Eldar call estel, I believe. ^_~)

Quote:
In unrelated news, I finished the first chapter of Dawn. This one can be read by itself, since the deviation from the known and predictable storyline happens later on. And once that happens, I wonder if binge-reading is better than going one chapter every couple weeks. I fear that it rather lost in translation. :/ Also, fair warning - I have not read over it to make sure it flows smoothly, and I'm sure it's full of spontaneous mid-sentence tense changes, Yoda grammar, run-on sentences, and other ungainly weirdness. If something does stick its neck out to you, or a more colourful wording occurs to you, please comment on it and I'll fix it.
Having finished reading two other things, this is now top of my list. What that means in practical terms I'm not sure, but at least it's there. ^_^

Quote:
Right now I think this literary pastime is the more productive of the two. I do my thing in snatches these days, and I find it a lot easier to translate one sentence at a time than to compose one note at a time, it takes me a lot longer to "get in the mood" for music. I might just leave music till better days (read: 3-ish weeks from now), unless I unexpectedly get a solid few hours of time to work on it.
I get that; I've been bouncing between various bits of writing and drawing and other weirder pastimes, it really is a 'what am I currently best suited to?' thing. The Zong will wait.

hS