View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 12:09 AM   #28
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up Once again, Wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
I did a little quick research on cusps (the "line" of sorts which "divides" the signs) and found this:

Since the Sun almost every time would be in one sign or the other at the precise time of birth -- it would be incredibly rare for it to be exactly on the cusp -- almost every time you would just have the traits of the one sign. The site I quoted above says that some astrologers believe if the rare circumstance of the Sun being exactly on the cusp were to occur, then traits of both signs could possibly be demonstrated. But since even with the conversion to the Shire calendar, Aragorn's birthdate was safely within the boundaries of Pisces, he would be considered as such and not as an Aquarius.

Thanks for providing the converted date of Frodo and Bilbo's birthday -- that certainly changes a few things!

Now, as for Aragorn the Pisces:

Some positive Piscean traits are that they are humble, compassionate, understanding, kind, and intuitive. Aragorn certainly demonstrates these traits. But what's interesting is that Pisceses are considered to be weak-willed and confused. While Aragorn has his moments of self-doubt, he does not seem to be weak of will -- let's face it; who doesn't have such moments?

I'm going to have to disagree with you on another point, Ka, though it's a minor one this time. Aragorn doesn't seem to have the sterotypical Piscean inferiority complex, at least not in the book. He is a humble man, and he doesn't try and place himself above others, but it seems to me that he knows he's good, in his own quiet sort of way. He has faith in himself most of the time, except as seen a few times, such as when he has to take over for Gandalf, and when things just don't seem to be going his way on Amon Hen ("Alas! An ill fate is on me this day, and all that I do goes amiss). Otherwise he's pretty confident.

Pisceans can be considered the "poets of the zodiac" (KISS Astrology, by Julia and Derek Parker), and Aragorn does show his hand at verse in the House of Elrond. The book just cited advises Pisceans to "pull yourself together, recognize your own worth, face things as they really are, and learn to cope." This ties in to the point I just made above -- once Aragorn gets past his inital doubt, he is able to become a strong leader.

Here's an interesting fact I found: the color associated with Pisces is a "soft sea-green" (KISS Astrology). This ties in to the green beryl Aragorn finds on the bridge, and the "great stone of a clear green, set in a silver brooch that was wrought in the likeness of an eagle with outstretched wings" (LotR, Book II, Farewell to Lorien, which Galadriel gives to him. Another connection is that the color is a sea-green, relating to Aragorn's Numenorean roots.
Good observation on the colour schemes. i know i wouldn't have the eye to find it. Another good point on the inferiority complex. Aragorn might not feel that worthless, but he does have moments of doubt. Like you said, who wouldn't in positions like his?
feel free to discuss more on this sign... not all is set in stone .yet.

~Ka~

Last edited by THE Ka; 11-19-2004 at 05:24 PM. Reason: I missed a R... so what?
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote