View Single Post
Old 12-26-2003, 05:08 PM   #36
Rouroni
Newly Deceased

Rouroni has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Overall, I am against both the stereotyping of the "outcasts" and the so-called "in-crowd."
So am I, as are many people, especially those who have felt the sting of stereotypes placed unfairly upon our heads.

But those lines have become incredibly thin. The divisions exist, but, at my school at least, it is cool to be a nerd. Or at any rate, the stereotypical nerd.

Something quite strange is going on, and it might not have altogether disasterous means.
Perhaps we are looking at an end (or at least a decline) in the stereotypes of our parents and grandparents.

Annoying as it might seem to have a girl say "O my god, I looooove Lord of the Rings! Orlando Bloom and Elijah Wood are so hot! I have seen all the movies like, ten times!", it might prove usefull in the long run, for us nerds, anyway.

As for the nerd population, it has grown from the steroetypical, plaid shirt, glasses, braces, inhaler sucking, library dwelling lizards of yesteryear. I have friends who talk both Tolkien and Sports.

Perhaps the widening of the nerd pool (so to speak)will (eventually)limit the social agony we have to go through to recieve a high school education.
"Cold be hand and heart and bone/Cold be sleep under stone/never more to wake on stony bed/Never, until the Sun fails and the Moon is dead./In the black wind the stars shall die/And still on gold here let them lie/Until the Dark Lord lifts his hand/Over dead sea and withered land."-Fog on the Barrow-Downs
Rouroni is offline   Reply With Quote