View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 09:27 PM   #26
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

I thnk the real question which impinges on the minds of many here is whether the Tolkienism of ourselves is offputting to the opposite sex. I've seen posts recently which claim that the Downs has more female than male members, surely they can't all be Orli-obsessives?

In that case, why not form a relationship with someone who is committed to the ideals you believe in? The preservation of trees, the opposition to dictators, the irrelevance of the superbowl. Can this worldview be so uncommon?

On the other hand I admit that I have taken the cowards way out, I haven't talked about LoTR to the people I thought would ridicule me for this interest. Is this wrong? Surely not, this is social self-preservation, you have to play the game, when in Rome, do as the Romans do etc. I have good, valid, sound friends who think that ME is rather childish. Who am I to say that they are wrong? I would trust these people with my life though not my imagination.

I think you can learn a lot from the people who reject you, even though that might not be their intention. I like to think of Tolkien as an inspiration rather than a determinant of division.