View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 04:12 PM   #18
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
The Grauniad strikes again, with another article about nothing. I'm amazed at the lack of spelling mistakes: they must have employed some actual proof-readers recently. Perhaps next they'll start employing journalists; or is that too much to hope for?
Oh, Squatter! Too funny!

Quote:
In fact, one might simply take it as a catch-all term for anyone who lives any sort of inner life at all.
Yes, so it would seem. Although I for one have never really minded any of the terms used for such people (or shall I say us?) By Feanor's definition I am somewhat of a geek, nerd, braniac and weirdo all wrapped into one. Which suits me just fine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
They just won't admit that the mainstream is fickle and the nerds and geeks are eternal! Hooray for the outcasts!
Three cheers for outcasts!

Quote:
Honestly, how many of the New Geeks have been tormented like us older ones (or have I been out of school too long?)
I've often thought about that. The older generation of geeks, nerds, whatever, often speak of the torment they received at school, which I have received at various times in my life, but not for the same reasons that they did. In fact, I've hardly ever been wholly disliked, but I've never quite "fit in" anywhere. I guess I'm a bit like Frodo in that regard. But once again, my problems were caused by completely different issues than interests. I am a child of missionaries, and lived in the Czech Republic for five years (I'm actually half-Czech). That doesn't entirely encourage social relationships in America. And now that I homeschool, I must say that the Downs is one of my primary (and certainly most enjoyable) forms of socialization. But even in a normal public junior high or high school, it seems that geek chic is definately in. What used to be outcasts are now accepted, if not wholly understood, individuals. A so-called geek cannot usually become popular within the school at large, but definately in their social group, which is now an accepted group. Lines seem to be blurring, and stereotypes are merging, but the mainstream still holds sway. I think it's a common phenomenon: those teenagers given to introspection and thought, and those who have sophisticated interests, are regarded as weird by the larger group, who are themselves the boring ones. It would seem that this is sometimes carried over into adulthood.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote