View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #12
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
Could this decade mark the dawn of the era of geek chic?
I think it's a little late for that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Geek chic is in full swing.

I think the writer found something interesting, but didn't quite delve deep enough into the culture. "Geek" is certainly not a word with any negative conotation at this point, most true geeks celebrate their Geekhood at this day in age. I don't quite agree with Squatter's definition of Geek, as it was put. Geek is a much more specialized term than you're making it. Geek-hood is earned. They are in no way greater in numbers, and while are occasionally movers and shakers (how could they not be? There's no such thing as an un-intelligent geek), there are many who still belong to that "I live in my parent's basement" genre.

Simply because the objects of a geek's obsession has become mainstream doesn't mean that those who in turn enjoy those objects of fanaticism are indeed geeks. I even take a bit of offense to that.

Always remember that Fan is short for Fanatic, and unless you're a true fanatic, you're not a true fan. Geeks have always been fanatics.

I don't think that the author quite understands how much of a culture it is. Simply browsing through a comic shop or seeing a cult movie half a dozen times does not make you a geek. Having a "bit of geek" doesn't mean you are a geek.

But it does make a good point. Don't call us nerds. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:47 PM December 13, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote