View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Which to chose

Before I get into your "theory" of the defense of Gondor. You do make a good point, even if Minas Tirith fell there were still forces Sauron would have had to contend with. I believe Theoden left either 2 000 or 4 000 men to defend Edoras and Helm's deep, he went with 6 000 and left some back for defense. With Aragorn destroying the Corsairs you still have the 50 ships full of men from Lebennin to contend with. You still had the men of Dale, and dwarves of Erebor fighting, Galadriel and her people were fighting, Elrond was fighting. Eventhough the elves are a race that were leaving Middle-earth still people remained to fight. So, yes there were still many people left for Sauron to destroy even if Minas Tirith fell.

Your "theory" could possibly work but to say it would have been a better one? I don't know. If you ask me Denethor defended Minas Tirith abou as well as one could. Bringing in the armies, setting up walls, it was so well defended not an enemy entered into Minas Tirith. Also, your strategy for the Rohirrim, seems more like a Skirmish and Slash and Burn policy. Similar to that of the Russians defeating Napolean and Hitler. Eventhough, an enemy didn't enter Minas Tirith, the gates were broken, then Rohan arrived, if Rohan wasn't there for the arrival then Minas Tirith's survival becomes a little shaky. They still have 6 more levels to bust throught but if I remember I have seen Sauron had over 400,000 of his men attacking the city. I sort of lost my self in the ramble of facts, but I'll get right to my opinion.

I really don't see a better way of distracting Sauron then marching to the black gate, especially with the man wielding Anduril. If Minas Tirith did fall and Sauron did start spreading out his forces to attack all Middle-earth I still think he would have had plenty of orcs for Frodo and Sam to contend with crossing the plains. I think Sauron sees "what we got here, a couple thousand men marching out right in front of my gate, and with them is the king of Gondor" he sees it as fresh meat for the grinder. Not only that but you have the Eomer, Imrahil, Gandalf, and Beregond some of the biggest names around Middle-earth, and Sauron sees his chance to destroy all these "big names," and with all his greed thinking he was unstoppable he took the bate. The assaults upon Mirkwood, Lothlorien, Rivendell, were fairly small compared to Minas Tirith. So if Minas Tirith fell he can then concentrate on the other places and I really dont see him emptying his lands like he did when they road out to the black gates. His loss at Minas Tirith didn't really phase him too bad, but it hurt him a lot more then if he would have been victorious at Minas Tirith. He still had many orcs and men at his disposal, and a victory at Minas Tirith would have only made him stronger. I think it was key for Minas Tirith to stay intact, atleast key to the "real" quest, the ring's destruction, Minas Tirith falls, he wouldn't be as distracted anymore. That is my take on things, I also might have misunderstood your point.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote