View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #11
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots This could lead into some interesting territory

Quote:
The intentions of the Ring are interesting. What, exactly, did the Ring 'want'?
Well…we are repeatedly told the Ring wants to get back to Sauron. (It almost begs the question of if the Ring was happy with Sauron, but maybe we shouldn’t go there…)

Quote:
I'm not sure its a question of the Ring knowing what would happen at Mount Doom.
I think the Ring probably had some idea of what would happen. It must have known that at Mount Doom all other powers in Middle earth would be stifled and that it dominated Frodo to the point that Frodo would not be able to harm it. It is interesting that in this part of the story the Ring seems to go rather passive. By that I mean it does not attempt any funny business. It does not seem to have made any effort on fooling around with Frodo when they encountered the Nazgul at Cirith Ungol, for example. It is almost as if it is being taken where it wants to go.

Quote:
The Ring, after all, knew that Sam had a mind relatively unclouded by its lure. And it KNEW what the purpose was in taking it to Mt. Doom. Furthermore, Frodo wouldn't have to be pushed into the pit to destroy the Ring. Imagine if Sam had taken it by force from Frodo (okay, I really can't see it happening, but imagine it anyway). Having given it up once before, I think it likely that he could have cast it in. Voila! You have Sam and Frodo both alive, and the Ring destroyed.
The interesting thing to ponder here is how much of an insight into the thinking of an incarnate being the Ring could gain. Obviously, the Ring was able to work on the thoughts of people. However, this may have only been attempts at outside communication and the Ring did not really know what was going on inside its target’s head. I’d never given this much thought before, but I think the Ring probably could not see inside the head of people. It’s actions tend to be more on the order of commands toward a particular action. It also created repeated delusions of grandeur. The fact that it misfired so badly with Sam makes me think that the Ring perhaps could not see inside.

Yes, I know the first part of my post regarding the Ring’s insight abilities contradicts the last…but it is more fun this way.