View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #197
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Korak gazed rather absently at the ground, a frown darkening his brow. The death of the Queen had been no tragedy to him, as it had been to her family. To him it meant only that the King might step from the throne sooner, perhaps despairing. Yet, it did pose a problem, it most certainly did. A young woman generally does not care to be married soon after her mother has been murdered. Would the marriage be postponed further? And if it was... if the King did leave his throne to one of his children very soon, and the marriage was delayed, chances were increased that the Prince would take the throne. And that would never do... it went against all the plans.

Perhaps Morashk would think of something that could be done. If the Princess showed reluctance to be married so soon to her mother's murder, Lord Korak could press her, saying that either they wed now or did not. It would be a gamble, but he felt that she was equally eager to take the throne, and he knew her chances were slim if she were not married.

And the simple fact that the Queen had been murdered disturbed him. A murder was not a pleasant thing, no matter who it was, and this was the Queen. What other dangers could be about? Were they all in danger? Dark clouds were gathering in the distance, and they brought ill will.

Homay still had said nothing. Perhaps she realised that Korak was deep in thought, but it annoyed the wealthy lord. He looked up sharply. "Homay, if you have anything to say, I would bid you say it," he said. "I do not have as much time as you seem to think I do, and with such dark things lurking, I feel I must soon return to my mother."

And to Morashk, to discuss the problem of the wedding. But he would not, of course, say that.

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 03-03-2005 at 11:22 AM.