View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
Which means that, especially in the case of Amandil if not afterwards, Amandil could pretty explicitly just state "I dreamed of an innocent", since only Amandil and Elendil would know who's being thus labeled - no need for too much secret coding. Obviously the name of a KM can be shared. After Amandil the rest would need to be more concealed, and indeed the lists that tp suggested could come in handy.
Aye Amandil saying "I saw an innocent" or "I saw a KM" would also be the same as everyone creating an Elendil list. Either way, as long as it's done uniformly and consistently, that way there is no confusion with relaying dreams to Elendil then let's go with it.

Quote:
If we do want to keep them concealed - stating explicitly known innocents would indeed, as mentioned, put the KM in the situation where they either have to accept the amount of unknown roles getting smaller and smaller, as well as facing the threat of being found themselves, while hunting for Elendil; or keep killing the known innocents and know that nothing threats Elendil apart from lynch. If the innocents will stay known only to Elendil (and the current dreamer), there is the danger that when Elendil dies we are left with very little trustworthy information.
Here's how I'm thinking about it...

Currently Elendil has one dream and sent it to one person. I would hope Elendil could rely on the information, but there's no way for Elendil to know this for sure. From what I understand, Elendil can double-check and send the same name to a different person, but that's wasting dream choices. And further, there would be no way for Elendil to know which person was telling the truth if he sent 2 people the same name and they relayed conflicting info.

Amandil revealing would establish that reliable chain of dreams. So, to expand on my earlier example.

1. Amandil reveals today, Elendil dreams Brinn and sends it to Amandil.

2. Amandil either with creating the list that's been talked about or just saying "I saw an innocent" will let Elendil know Brinn's innocent and it would not give the trail away to the KM.

3. Elendil proceeds to give the next name to Brinn and it continues on from there...

Now to your point Pom, what if in #3, Elendil is killed in the night. We could still follow the chain from Amandil who could say "The innocent I saw was Brinn" and then we would know to trust Brinn saying "I saw an innocent/KM." It wouldn't do much good for the KM to kill Amandil because the leaves Elendil still who could keep dreaming and continue the line of trustworthy dreams from Brinn.

This would seem to put under Elendil extreme risk of being discovered and having no Ranger protection, with Anarion being occupied protecting the dream-recipients (the innocent ones). Ideally it would be great to give Elendil as many chances as possible, but at the same time, there needs to be an established way to make sure Elendil is actually being relayed trustworthy dreams, otherwise Elendil (and thus the rest of us) is left in the dark, unsure if the relayed information is true or not.