View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #89
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
No-one has taken the approach of attacking Pullman simply because he criticises Tolkien as far as I've read on this thread.
I am not going to pick out any names, but that is not the impression that I get, reading this thread.

Actually, I will pick out one name ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
We've attacked him because his criticisms have been ignorant, uniformed or simply insulting.
It is this kind of prejorative language that gives the impression of an overly-defensive, knee-jerk reaction against someone who is daring to criticise Tolkien. As far as I can recall, the only material available on this thread setting out Pullman's views on Tolkien are those reported by journalists. That's hardly a sound basis for the kind of asessment of him that you are making. And, even if they are accurate, I thoroughly disagree with your characterisation of them. You can engage intellectually, philosophically and even emotionally with his arguments and provide reasons why you disagree with them (as you have quite properly done). But to label him ignorant and insulting simply because you disagree with him is, to my view, wrong.