View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 04:27 AM   #105
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Rule clarification

OK, let's get the rules straight here.

Firefoot has given the answer "Bombadil" three times and "Bucklebury Ferry" twice. Now, my understanding is that the same answer cannot be given more than once to the questions being asked by the guessers. That's why, for example, we can keep on asking "Is it a Dwarf?" and expect a different answer each time. If the person who has set the clue cannot give an answer, then he/she must ask the person who asked the question to give their answer. I presume that, if their answer is one which has previously been given, the game simply carries on.

So, in the case of "Bombadil" above, I think that "Is it the eldest and fatherless?" was asked twice and "Is it someone unaffected by the Ring?" was also asked (by The Perky Ent). So, in response to the second two of these questions, Firefoot should have asked the guessers to come up with their answers. Since I doubt that they would have come up with anything other than "Bombadil", the game would have carried on without Firefoot revealing another letter. However, if The Perky Ent could have come up with another 'B' answer for someone unaffected by the Ring, then Firefoot would have had to have given another letter.

Assuming that this analysis is correct, the person who has set the clue needs to keep in mind the answers already given and guessers should try to avoid asking a question to which the only answer (or at least the only answer that they can think of) is one which has already been given. (You can check the answers previously given quite easily by scrolling through the posts below the "Reply" box.)

Sorry for being such an anorak about this, but it's as well to make sure that the rules are clear, particularly as this seems to me to be a rather good game. Paavo, would you mind editing your first post to clarify the position on this point?

Anyway, on with the game ...

Is it a mountain?