View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #76
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
when I was eleven I talked my grandparents into buying me a LotR boxed set that was in the Scholastic Books catalog my teacher sent home with us
I remember those catalogs! My mom would always let me pick out 3-5 books of my choice. The day those books arrived at school was like Christmas.

I wish I had the opportunity to read the books at a younger age. It remained unknown to me for 13 years that there were actually old copies of the trilogies and two copies of The Hobbit- one per parent (the one my dad owns is an ancient copy, printed shortly after RotK was published- it even has Tolkien's artwork in it)- sitting in the bookshelves at home, collecting dust. Strangely enough, my parents never read their books (well okay, my mom did read The Hobbit, but it was decades ago). Since my parents never got into his books, I suppose that is why I was never introduced to Tolkien at a young age. It wasn't until a few months before the FotR movie was released that I even slightly knew what the trilogy was about. After hearing my friends constantly jabber about their excitement for the movie, I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about and picked up my mom's copy of The Hobbit. Aside from being slightly discolored from old age, those books were in almost perfect condition. Let's just say there was a reason why my mom decided to buy me my own copies of the books....