View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #117
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wind (Amarie's Dream)

Wind
Disturbing the slumber of the leaves
I call your name
Through the day and in ever restless dreams
Trees fall still
Like an army mourning their lost king
No sound tonight
But the branches bleeding

Wind
On the whispered midnight wind I heard
"To believe
Need neither sight nor waking mind"
On this grass
I see still the imprint of your feet
Not a sound
But the trees are bleeding!

Dust is swirling over woodland pathway
Shadows deepen under blooming lindens
Where were you, my lord of constant change
When we burned the ships that could bear us back again?
You should have stayed at my side

Wind
There's a wind that's moaning in the dark
Aiming
For a heart that's torn itself apart
Now you're gone
My whole world is like a house in ruins
Now you're gone
And my heart is bleeding!

Look:
How the stars are shining on the trees
Look:
When I speak your name the whole wood sings!
Back
From out of shadow come to me
In the night - and with night you'll heal me!

A bridge unseen will rise above us
From your hand to star-leaved maples
And with your crown of golden locks
Hang your head in answer when you hear me ask:
Why did you turn from my side?

Wind
Rushing through hidden forest glades
Hopefully
To meet your greeting on the way
I lie here
You are gone and I am left to stay
In the Night
And the Night is bleeding!

Wind
Give to me sleep or give me peace
Come the day
I'll remember once again my loss
Before dawn
Let me become as the silent trees
Let me stay
In the Night - let pain cease

The mist lies thick o'er woodland pathway
The leafy fingers weave their web
Lord, is all this world a lie?
Lord, have you truly in the darkness met your death?
If you'd returned to my side...

Wind...
Nothing but the wind...

I take justification for the single syllable 'wind' from the fact that Amarie swallows the second vowel, very nearly singing a single-syllable 'Vetr'. Also, it just flows better.

The trickiest line is right near the end:

Before dawn
Let me become as the silent trees
Let me stay
In the Night - let pain cease

The idea, is something about becoming as sap and either staying in the night, or freezing in the night. I've tried my best, but was constrained by the rhymes (because I really wanted to keep 'Give to me sleep or give me peace' in the first line of the stanza). Also, the Russian uses two words for 'liquid associated with trees', but English mostly just uses sap. 'Syrup', I guess, but that has the wrong connotations.

I also have no idea what she's going on about with the invisible bridge from Finrod's hand to the maple leaves, but that does seem to be what she's saying.

I... don't think this song really fits in the musical, sad to say. It's a lovely tune, but where do you put it? Before 'Truth', so we hear Finrod is dead, and then nope, he's back on stage again? Or after, diluting his own death-song with his ex going 'actually that makes me a bit sad'?

I think what's missing is the eucatastrophe element. Back in 'Heart', Amarie rejected her anger in order to send Finrod hope. Now, when he's coming back (albeit dead), she just mopes for a bit. She needs a verse or two of 'I will send the wind to bring you home'.

I would probably splice it into the middle of the song. We've already got the 'From out of shadow come to me' verse - all it needs is a bit of tweaking to the 'star-leaved maples' verse, and maybe to the preceeding 'house in ruins' verse, and you'll have a perfect structure: she realises he's dead, she reaches out to his spirit, but she still laments the loss. It comes after 'Truth', as a mirror of sorts to Galadriel's opening Lament.

(I know exactly why it was put before 'Truth' in the recording: to give Finrod time to change costume! But that's not really relevant to us.)

EDIT: You know what... I think they did do this, it's just lost in translation. Check out this alternate reading of the 'maples' verse:

Let my words flow out between us
Bear you back to star-leaved maples
And with your crown of golden locks
You will hang your head in answer when I ask:
Why did you turn from my side?

The trouble is, Google wants the bridge to come from Finrod. If it's going to him, then the maple thing makes sense too: her whole previous verse is 'the forest is mourning you', so now she's calling him back to it. So she can tell him off, which frankly he still deserves. ^_~ I think I vastly prefer this read. I might go back and work more tree references into the other verses to make them fit it.

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 07-17-2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: New interpretation
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote