View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #110
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Hello! and sorry for the long delay.

I was actually considering replacing Herendil with Elendur before, and it would also add some nice info about Elendur - the most like in mind and body to his grandfather Elendil.

Speaking of Elendil, I think that we should change the original text as little as possible. So I am in favor of keeping Elendil. But the problem is, as I see it and as you have mentioned already, that the narrative of the Númenórean chapters of The Lost Road relies heavily on the father-son relationship - so keeping that in mind, maybe it would be better to replace Elendil with Isildur, but I'll have to think about it a bit more.

But to me, the greatest problem is the replacement of Herendil with Isildur/Elendur/(some other suggestion?) itself. I think this is a case similar to that of keeping Meril as the mother of Gil-galad, but this time with Orodreth as his father. I think it is getting too near to the fan-fiction territory.

Now...to get a little off-topic - all of that being said, I still think that Meril as the wife of Orodreth should not be discarded so lightly - if I remember correctly, you DID keep Meril, although you did not name her - her background is still there as a Sinda from Eglarest. Would it be too problematic to name her?
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote