View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #51
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Aiwendil

Aiwendil slammed the door and stalked into the room, a keen look of irritation etched on his face. He glared over at Rôg and immediately started in, wrinking his nose in disgust, "Where have you been? You smell like a vat of cider! Maybe others wouldn't mind, but I have a sensitive nose."

Without stopping to draw breath, he continued, "I thought you were ill, but I see you have been traipsing over the entire ship, while I sit here by myself in the room." Aiwendil marched over to the porthole, pulled up his hood, and gazed out at the distant waters, staring with empty eyes, "I thought that I woud enjoy this trip--the gentle waves, the birds, the great dolphins and whales leaping up from the surf--but all I can remember is the last time I was on a sea-going vessel. That sad journey took me from a place of great beauty to these ill-fated shores, and it's something I would rather forget."

"The sooner we arrive the better." He looked over impatiently at his companion and servant, "Have you done anything to arrange for our travel and accomodations once we reach the port at Umbar?"

Rôg shook his head and began to explain that the captain was not going to be able to bring the ship into the harbor of the capital city on account of rumors of unrest. He went on to outline the two choices they had: a small boat they could man themselves, or sailing further south and then travelling north with a caravan of traders.

Aiwendil scowled and shook his head, "A small boat? By ourselves? Out on the open sea? That would be folly! I don't like the sound of either option. Those traders may be bandits or thieves for all we know. But we don't seem to have much of a choice. If only we'd been able to book passage on the Star.... None of this would be happening!"

Aiwnedil sighed and made one last suggestion to Rôg, "Perhaps the captain would know some reputable traders whom we could trust to take us north?"

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:18 AM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]