View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 07:39 AM   #46
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

An almost imperceptible rustle caused Wyrma to open her eyes, instantly alert after a brief rest. Elsta was in her chamber, laying out garments for the evening festivities. The maid held up a cream-coloured silken robe with golden embroidery at the neck, sleeves, and hem, her eyebrows raised inquiringly. Wyrma nodded curtly. The two women needed few words for matters of daily life; after many years in the service of the maenwaith leader, Elsta knew better than to expect her mistress’ praise for work well done, and rarely incurred dissatisfaction.

Wyrma had seen the clothing affected by many of the ladies of Falasmir’s court – intricately worked tunics over wide, gathered trousers. She knew well enough that she would only look ridiculous in such garb and elected to keep to the flowing robes of her people, albeit of finer material and more elaborately ornamented than would have been suitable in their desert dwellings.

Before she could retreat to her bath chamber to refresh herself with cool water, a luxury she valued highly, there was business to be taken care of. “Was your errand successful?” she asked, speaking more quietly than was her wont.

Elsta nodded. “It is as you heard. The Eagle clan has united to thwart you. If they serve as an example for others, the scattered opposition may join and openly arise against you.” The maid spoke in a low, monotonous voice that matched her appearance. She wore a robe of a nondescript grey-brown, and her hair, eyes and even skin seemed to be of the same colour. Everything about her reminded Wyrma of a mouse, and in truth she could be just as inconspicuous in her human form as those little creatures were. This quality, paired with her loyalty and a habit of speaking only when necessary, made her an invaluable help to her mistress.

Wyrma’s fingers drummed restlessly on the desk beside her, a nervous gesture which she would have repressed in the presence of others. “Then it is time to take action. This rebellion must be quelled before it gathers momentum. The leader of the Eagle clan is Ayar; I remember her. When we last met, there was a young man beside her, most likely intended as a successor. Not her son, I think, though I do not recall if there are children…” Her voice drifted off while her mind formed a resolve. Elsta wisely refrained from speaking, knowing better than to interrupt her mistress’ train of thought.

“Ayar must be eliminated,” Wyrma said decisively. “Yet is must not seem that I am connected with this deed, not yet. It might shock the others so that they would only become more bold. It must be done by someone else. And where better to find a paid cutthroat than in this city of Corsairs, brigands, and villains!"

Elsta spoke up. “I have heard of someone who might be willing, if the price is high enough. Would you like to speak with him yourself?”

Wyrma thought for a moment, then shook her head. “No, he must not yet know with whom he is dealing. Let him show first whether he is capable of this task, then he may be useful for more. You know all that is necessary; establish contact and entrust him with the deed. I will give you a purse that is full enough to tempt him, and after it is done he shall receive more. It would be best to go during the banquet this evening; I shall not need you then.”

The maid bowed her head in assent, her face remaining impassive. Only an almost imperceptible widening of her eyes revealed that this task was different than taking care of her mistress’ clothing or tidying her room.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'