View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #594
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The boy was a miniature Thornden, standing there as if for warrior drills. Some day this lad will make as good a man of arms as his elder brother, Eodwine said to himself.

There was need for more able-bodied workers around the Mead Hall, and with the addition of Sorn's holdings to his own, Eodwine was in even greater need of such folk. He would break that news later, as well as who would be expected to move at what time, and who would stay.

"A fine lad you look to be," Eodwine said at length, "and welcome here. We have need of lads who are not afraid to work and learn. Are you willing to do both, Javan?"

"Yes, lord!" said the boy eagerly.

Eodwine smiled. The boy's eyes were open wide and he very clearly wanted to impress both lord and older brother.

"Very well," he said presently. "I would have you sit at the feet of Marenil so that he can find out what you know, and I will speak with your older brother to find out what you can do. But I have two questions for you, Javan lad." He paused as the boy's attention became even more intent. "My questions are these: first, what would you most like to do here; and second, what would you most like to learn to do?"