View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #38
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
It just amazed me that Tolkien described every part of the landscapes in his books to a T, but gave us such a vague idea of what his characters looked like.
But that makes the descriptions even more meaningful when they are there. Whenever there is a character's physical appearance, it gives us greater insight than just how s/he looks. That's one thing. Another is that the reader has freedom to imagine the finer details. Or possibly Tolkien himself didn't see his characters in great detail in his mind's eye; personally I almost never "see" their faces, or even see them fully. I can imagine how they move and some general looks, but anything more specific is really hard to imagine.

So, in other words, I would not put this on my short list of things I don't like.