View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #65
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aiwendil and Lindir:

Aiwendil's response to the Dwarf was immediate, "Vrór, you are right. It would not be wise to venture north if we had no idea where the slaves went. Yet, we already know a good deal more than just a little while ago. And I believe it is enough to get us started."

Aiwendil pointed towards the sloping riverbank. "That place where the grass is matted..... Surely this is where the slaves crossed and headed north. Whether the slavers followed behind them, or were even driving them forward, we can't know for sure. But I am convinced if we follow those tracks we will eventually find the slaves. We also know they are going to the southern reaches of the Plateau of Gorgoroth for this is what was written in the letter to Elessar. Surely, they would not go too widely off track. We are fortunate to have in our company two of the best scouts in all the west." Here the wizard's eyes rested on Dorran and Lindir.

"Plus, there is another thing." Aiwendil stopped a moment uncertain how much more he should say. "My servant Rôg is amazingly talented. At my request, he is going off to have a look at some wildlife while we are collecting ourselves here, a special survey that Elessar asked us to undertake regarding the birds and beasts in Mordor. But Rôg is amazingly observent, and I don't doubt that if there is anything special to see or be discovered that will help us, he will handle himself quite well. Indeed, we may know more when he returns, though I cannot say for sure."

At the exact moment when Aiwendil finished his cryptic speech, Athwen and Carl burst into the group. In Carl's hand was a small stone that he immediately gave to Lindir. The Elf examined it closely and then turned to Athwen with a smile, "You have done well. No slaver would have owned such a thing. Surely this belonged to one of the slaves." Lindir held it up in the fading light and peered at the shapes more closely, "The White Tree of Gondor, and is this a moon of Ithilien? Amazing, just amazing. Perhaps our tales of the great war are known even here. But what is this?" Lindir's brow furled down but he continued talking, more to himself than to anyone in the group. "I really have no idea. How strange. A bird's foot? Perhaps a representation of an Eagle? But no, the claws are not sharp enough."

Lindir handed the stone back to Carl, shaking his head. "I do not know what this means. But surely it is an omen of goodness left behind, whether intentionally or not. Let us do this. We can not leave at this minute. Make a fire and we will have some supper and wait for Rôg's return. We have had nothing all day and can not keep pushing on without a moment's rest. Then we can talk and decide whether we will leave now, or wait till the morning. But I do believe we have no choice except to head north."

Without waiting for an answer, Lindir pushed Aiwendil over to the side, "What is this about Rôg? Just where is he going?"

"I am not sure," Aiwendil honestly answered. "But he is very observent and if there's something to be seen, he will see it."

"Aiwendil, is there something you're not telling me?"

"Aye, Lindir, you know something of my past, more than most of the others here, and you know there is much that I do not speak about."

"No, no. That's not what I mean. I was referring to your manservant. I need to know the strengths of every member of this group, and yet I know very little about this Rôg."

Aiwendil shook his head, "As to that, I can not say. If you have any questions, I would suggest that you speak with him. I can only say that he is one of the most competent men and most loyal friends I have known. If I were in a spot of great danger, I truly cannot think of another person that I would rather have at my side." The last phrase was spoken with a hint of dry humor that left Lindir scratching his head.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-13-2006 at 01:26 AM.