View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #34
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Name (that you go by): Nurumaiel, or Nuru for short

Future Aspirations: To either become a nun, or become a full-time wife, mother, and homemaker

Goal in life: I would say to become a saint, but that process extends beyond death generally, or at least officially... to become an unofficial saint, then

Short term goals: To achieve a feminine and Godly womanhood

Passion: My Faith, and music... and all things true and beautiful

Hobbies: Dancing, singing, violin, piano, guitar, sewing, knitting, writing, reading, rambling, as well as many others

Famous for (brag about yourself): I would imagine that I'm most famous for my singing. Everyone insists that I have a lovely voice (which is nice to hear, considering the work I've put into it!). I'm famous amongst some people for my writing, but my singing is more widely known

Fave book: Anything by L.M. Montgomery, Gene Stratton Porter, Tolkien, Lewis, MacDonald, etc... G.K. Chesterton and Hilaire Belloc... Shakespeare, naturally... the Brontes, Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell... dear me, I'm naming authors rather than books. But my favourite books can be summed up easier by their authors.

Fave movie: Wives and Daughters, Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, Anne of Green Gables and the Sequel, Ben-hur, Therese... Meet Me in St. Louis, The Harvey Girls, Holiday Inn, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... Arsenic and Old Lace, High Noon, On the Waterfront, The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, White Heat, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington... and any one of those good old movies.

Fave sport: To watch, football, particularly my extremely talented younger brother... the only real sport I do is dancing

Fave store: Book stores, and fabric stores

Fave music: Just about anything classical, Bach in particular... I was going to say my favourite classical piece is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, but I'm torn between that and Pachelbel Canon at the present moment. Old Irish songs, especially as sung by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem... 'oldies' like Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra... Patrick Doyle's Henry V... Loreena McKennitt... Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem and Cats... various other musicals, but Man of La Mancha in particular... and beautiful old chant, which seems to be extinct is so many churches nowadays

What you can't stand: People who seem to think I'm in some way 'oppressed and a failure' because I dream of being a stay-at-home mother... hymns such as I am the Bread of Life (I feel so silly singing I am the Bread of Life, because I'm not, so I don't sing it), and people who say that chant is old and outdated and doesn't 'do' anything for the soul... people who tell me that, as a Catholic, I worship Mary, and then tell me I'm lying when I say I don't... bad music.

What you plain dislike: People who get annoyed and offended when the seven children in my family pass them by... and again, people who think I have no right at all to be a stay-at-home mother... and again, silly hymns, and connected to that, the idea that, just after receiving the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist we ought to stand up and sing about how we are the Bread of Life and how special we are, rather than get down on our knees and adore God... so, definitely all those Hymns to Self.

Who you admire: St. Therese, and her parents... so many mothers of large families I know who I respect so much... my own parents... St. Dominic Savio... St Maximilian Kolbe!!... our dear old papa John Paul II, and our dear new Benedict XVI...

What you most love to do: Play the piano and sing... I simply love to sing, and I simply love to play... I just enjoy putting my heart in soul into creating beautiful music.

Your self-confessed flaws: Lack of diligence, though I hate to admit it. If something is frustrating me it's tempting for me to just set it aside. Reacting too strongly to things is another. If I think about something insulting someone said a month ago, I get very passionate about it still. Whilst writing about what I can't stand and plain dislike above, my heart rate certainly did pick up quite a bit! Fortunately my shyness is a blessing, for it keeps me from losing my temper to people's faces... I just lecture about it when I get home.

What intrigues/fascinates you: Everything... some grand bit of music, with all its subtle details, or a wee bit of grass that's growing out odd...

What scares you: The reflection that the future is coming up too fast! Where did all the time and freedom go? Where are the lazy days of childhood?

Quotation to live by: I have a terrible lot of quotations to live by, but the first to come to mind: "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." --G.K. Chesterton

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? What I really appreciate is a friend who will acknowledge that I'm a thoughtful, quiet introvert, and that it's a different thing from being scared and unsociable.

What do you want most in a teacher? A sense of beauty and wonder... I don't want someone who will prattle off facts in their barest state, but look to find truth and knowledge in things.

What do you want most in an ally? An alliance, I imagine... I want him to really and truly be on the same side as me.

What do you want most in a team-mate? A good character. I love have team-mates I can respect for more than just their talent.

What do you want people to remember most about you? Anything that was good, and I pray they'll forget all that was bad. And I want people to remember that I was a Catholic, and extremely proud of it.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: With a Fairy Hand in Hand, a book based off W.B. Yeats poem The Stolen Child

Your favorite character so far: Liornung, of course!... and Tipsy, from the above-mentioned work.

What do you plan to write soon: Finish my fairy-story, and come up with some articles for a Catholic newsletter I write for.

What inspires you to write: Anything has the potential to inspire me. Another book, or some bit of a conversation I overhear, or the dialogue between a pair of birds...

What makes your writing stall: For my present story, I'm stalled because I took a vacation from writing for awhile and can't remember what I was planning when I left off...

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Like everyone else, I do get writer's block. Various methods work, but none of them are guaranteed. Just writing even when I don't want to sometimes helps, acting scenes out sometimes help, reading it aloud to the kiddies sometimes helps, and putting on music with the proper mood and creating a scene to fit it sometimes helps. And then, sometimes, I can do naught but wait.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Faramir

What do you like about them? It's hard to put into words... there's just such a depth to him... such nobility and honour and courage... a brave fellow, but he has also a very gentle spirit... he's simply splendid.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? Too many to name... Frodo's dream in Bombadil's home, and that moment at the end when he beholds white shores... Aragorn's awe-inspiring transformation from Strider on the River Anduin...

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? I don't think I could name a favourite... I love all the plot twists.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I think I'm too much of a mix to choose!

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I think I'd very much enjoy remaining just as I am

What place(s) would you live in Middle Earth and why? I'd certainly choose the Shire... it's the most home-y... gardens, and familiar paths... even the Sacksville-Bagginses and their ilk would be more like what I'm accustomed to... much more than dream-like Elven lands.

Where would you want to visit? Why? I should like to visit simply everywhere. But above all I should like to see Henneth Annun.

How would you travel? On foot. I love to meander my way along and enjoy the scenery, and take in all the little details.

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? Limited to just one, I would take along my Rosary. It has all the most beautiful and sad memories, prayers, and feelings connected with it. If I'm granted one more, I'd like to take along my Book of Letters and a pen to write the letters.

And now, some advice... always proof-read, especially if you're talking about why you admire someone! I was too busy reflecting on why I liked Faramir to pay attention to what I was writing... consequently, the terrible typo:

...there's just such a depth to me... such nobility and honour and courage...

Thank goodness I caught that before I sent this through! I'd have to add that another one of my flaws is a dreadful conceit and vanity!

New Quotation to live by: Always proof-read.