View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #572
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Liornung's arms were folded; a self-satisfied smile was on his face, and he looked as though he was proud of some great task he had achieved. Leafa's eyes were wide and full of joy, and she could not refrain a small burst of a laugh when she saw the look on the fiddler's face. "Oh, Liornung, what causes you such satisfaction with yourself?" she said.

He remained silent for a time, absorbed in his thoughts, and then he shook himself with a laugh lower but longer than her own, and the laugh was full of amusement, but also of deep wonder. "Why is it that men form alliances in the midst of war?" he said, only partly addressing her. "In battle, when you would think that only hate and hardness would prevail, good-will arises."

"The foes press on from every side," said Leafa, "and the two men, caught in the circle formed about them, are slowly pushed towards each other, until they stand side by side and fight."

Liornung laughed again, louder this time, and Leafa was amazed at the youthfulness in his voice. Always before he would laugh like a full-grown man, but now he laughed like a boy who has not yet seen the pass of childhood, and she realized again that he was not as old and fatherly as sometimes he might seem. "What a verse it will make for the Ballad," he said. "Ędegard and Nethwador begin to show some signs of friendliness towards each other. Leafa, my dear, we may be pleased with ourselves."

"With ourselves? What have we done, Liornung?"

"Ah, my little one, it seems to you that it was all the doing of Ędegard and Nethwador. I will admit they took the most important step: one extended a hand of friendship, and the other took it. But when you think of how we encouraged them! We were friendly towards Nethwador and accepted him as part of our company, and so we showed him that we were his friends. And, by the same friendliness to Nethwador, we instilled an idea of friendship in Ędegard. I feel immensely proud."

"You may feel proud, Liornung," said Leafa, with a smile, "but I feel as though I have had no part in bringing about such good." And her eyes turned adoringly to Ędegard.

Liornung smiled. "Of course," he said, softly so she would not hear, "only he."