Thread: Of Bard
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Of Bard

Well, not Bard in particular. We know he was descended of Girion of Dale, and that those men were grim and tall and dark and could speak to the thrushes. Also, Ravens were quite popular in that area and could speak in the Westron. Namely Carc and Roac, so anyway Bard later had a son named Brand. Brand was another hero king, and all that, and probably talked to the Ravens alot, since they were likely messengers between Dain and He, and Laketown, and possibly even Beorn to the West. But this brings up a little question/query/sidenote. In Welsh legend there was a great king called King Bran. Bran meant in the Cymraeg (Welsh) Raven, and he symbolized intelligence and wisdom. These may be universal traits when thinking of Ravens, but given Tolkien's keen interest in the language and tales of mine own good people, the Cymry, the Welsh, doesn't that seem to connect. I certainly think so. I really want to get deeper into the subject of Bard and Brand and Dale and Girion the Lord, and all those types, so let's have at it, and see if maybe we can't find a connexion and debate it.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote