View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Actually, yes, I was interested in seeing if Tolkien followed his own understanding of fairie.
My apologies. I have no wish to take this thread off at a tangent, but my thoughts were inspired by Squatter's observation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter
I have to ask at this point whether Tolkien was really trying to write fairy-stories at all. Much of what he says in his lecture applies to fantasy as well as his official theme, but I'm by no means sure that we can see his own fiction as a representation of Faërie.
This seems to me to be a fair point and, although your purpose is to consider whether Tolkien adhered to his own definition of "fairy-story", it is as well, I think, to make the point that this definition does not really accurately describe what is traditionally understood by the term.

Perhaps, however, I should investigate those links that Lal has helpfully provided. I see from a brief scan that one of them does consider Tolkien's conception of Faerie in comparison with that depicted by Susanna Clarke. Having recently read an thoroughly enjoyed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, it is a thread which I really ought to have a look at.

And now back to your scheduled discussion ...